Salvage chemotherapy with gemcitabine and oxaliplatin in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer: a multicenter phase II study

Erratum in

  • Oncology. 2006;71(3-4):203. Mavrousis, D [corrected to Mavroudis, D].



It was the aim of this study to evaluate the activity and tolerance of gemcitabine and oxaliplatin in pretreated metastatic breast cancer patients.


Thirty-one patients who had disease relapse or progression after completion of an anthracycline- and/or taxane-based front-line regimen were treated with gemcitabine 1,500 mg/m(2) on days 1 and 8 as a 30-min intravenous infusion and oxaliplatin 130 mg/m(2) on day 8 as a 4-hour intravenous infusion, in cycles of 21 days.


Complete response occurred in 1 patient (3%) and partial response in 4 patients (13%) (overall response rate 16%; 95% confidence interval 3.2-29.1). Nine patients (29%) had stable disease and 17 (55%) progressive disease. Three partial responses (13%) were achieved among 23 patients receiving the regimen as third-line treatment. The median duration of response was 6 months (range 3-44.8), the median time to tumor progression 4.6 months (range 0.8-43.8), and the median survival 14.4 months (range 2.1-44.8). Grade 3 and 4 neutropenia occurred in 14 patients (45%), grade 3 and 4 thrombocytopenia in 6 patients (20%), and grade 2 and 3 asthenia in 4 patients (13%). There was no episode of febrile neutropenia.


The gemcitabine-oxaliplatin combination is a relatively active and well-tolerated salvage regimen in patients with heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer.


Kakolyris S, Kalbakis K, Potamianou A, Malamos N, Vamvakas L, Christophillakis C, Tselepatiotis E, Giassas S, Mavroudis D, Amarantidis K, Georgoulias V.

©2024 Στυλιανός Γιασσάς All rights reserved | Powered by VNG Digital Group